- Get a small notebook that will fit in your pocket or purse (or wherever you keep your cigarettes) and a pen or a pencil to go with it.
- Keep them with you at all times when you have cigarettes available.
- Every morning, write the date at the top of a page (if you need more than one page on any given day, put the date and “(cont.)” at the top of any extra page(s) you use on the same day).
- Every time you reach for a cigarette, before you light up, or even take it out of the pack, make a conscious choice whether you’re going to smoke right now or not.
- Now write down the time, and note whether you chose to smoke right then or not (write “chose to smoke” next to the time if you chose to smoke; write “chose not to smoke” if you chose not to smoke).
(If you're feeling a bit lost, it may be helpful to go back to the first post and follow along in order.)Tags: mindfulness